Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispies Bars

I found this recipe on Pinterest for Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars and thought it would be good.  I followed the directions and put everything in them except for the cranberries because we didn't have any and also because I hate cranberries.  I considered using nuts or sunflower seeds but I was already a little worried about my kids not liking them because of the oatmeal. They like their food simple. I can't imagine where they got that from.

My oldest child didn't like them because of the oatmeal.  My two younger kids liked them but didn't love them.  I liked them but didn't love the oatmeal.  My husband was speechless (he had strep throat).

I didn't want to give up on this recipe because the chocolate peanut butter part is really good and also because I bought coconut oil and what the heck else am I going to do with it? (I did see a recipe for homemade lip gloss that has coconut oil on Pinterest.  It's on my to do list but I'm not going to need that much.)

So I was in bed one night and it came to me.  Rice Krispies. They would add the needed texture and would be crunchy rather than whatever it is that oatmeal is. Here's what they look like.


They are yummy. I made them for my nephew's baptism and another nephew decided they are "delish." (He's always been my favorite nephew.)

Here's the recipe:

1 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil (You could probably substitute butter or shortening.  I haven't tried it.)
4 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate.)

Pour Rice Krispies into a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Don't turn them into powder.  You want little crunchy bits. Set aside.

Melt peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil in medium saucepan.  Remove from heat.  Add chocolate chips.  Stir until melted.  Stir in prepared Rice Krispies.

Pour into greased 9X13 pan.  Refrigerate until hardened.  Remove from fridge and let sit for 20 - 30 min before cutting.  Refrigerate if you like them hard. Don't refrigerate if you like them soft and gooey.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. my Grandmother used to make a similar bar but no one in my family seems to remember them but me. I'm sure she used butter. I plan on trying this and see how it comes out. Thanks for the picture because that is what my grandmother's bars looked like which is why I'm going to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete